1. What is VitalSource®?
VitalSource® is the preferred and most used e-textbook platform in higher education today, and the VitalSource Bookshelf® is the most advanced eBook software in the world. With VitalSource®, you get three-way access to your books: download, online, and mobile. Notes and highlights automatically stay in sync no matter where you take them (mobile requires online synch). In the library, at the computer lab, or even in a clinical setting, you can access your books when you need them—whether you brought your laptop or not.
2. What products are available as eBooks?
SchweserNotes™ (Levels I and II), Schweser’s Secret Sauce®, and Schweser’s QuickSheet are available as VitalSource® eBooks. The eBook provides access to your study materials in a digital format for use on a personal computer, Apple® mobile device (including iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod touch®), Android™ mobile device, and the Kindle Fire.
3. How many devices will I be able to use my eBooks on?
When you purchase the eBook versions of SchweserNotes™, Secret Sauce®, or QuickSheet, you will get access to view them online. You can also access and download them on up to two personal computers and up to two mobile devices.
4. What are the features of the VitalSource® eBooks?
Features of the SchweserNotes™ eBooks, Secret Sauce® eBook, and QuickSheet eBook include:
- Electronic notes and highlighting: When you make notes and highlight sections, the changes are stored on the VitalSource® server, meaning they will be available if you access the eBook from another computer or device. Additionally, notes and highlights can be automatically synchronized between the web version of your products and your downloaded version (this requires that the computer containing your downloaded file be online). You can also share your notes and highlighted content.
- Ability to export notes: You can copy/paste curriculum text and export your notes to a text file.
- Advanced search function: You can search either a single volume of the SchweserNotes™ or every volume of the SchweserNotes™ for your exam level.
- Flexible print options: You can print up to two pages at a time.
5. How do I access eBook products on my desktop or laptop computer?
When you purchase an eBook product, you will receive an email with installation instructions and a unique registration code to activate your eBook. With a compatible browser, you will be able to access your eBooks via the Internet at online.vitalsource.com or from a file you directly download.
To download the eBook files for use on your personal computer, your computer must meet certain system requirements.
Download the VitalSource Bookshelf
Important note to Microsoft Windows XP users:
You may need to download and install Microsoft’s .NET framework in order for the eBook to run properly on your computer. The installation program will automatically determine whether your computer needs .NET and prompt you through the download and installation of .NET prior to installing the VitalSource® eBook. Downloading and installing .NET may take 10 to 40 minutes, depending on your computer’s configuration and your Internet connection speed.
If you prefer not to download Microsoft’s .NET framework, you can still access your SchweserNotes™, Secret Sauce®, and QuickSheet using the online version of the eBook. (While the downloadable version can be accessed anytime, the online version is only accessible when you have an active Internet connection.)
More information about the VitalSource BookShelf
Find out more about system requirements
6. How do I access eBook products on my mobile device?
The eBook version provides access to the curriculum in digital format for use on a personal computer, Apple® mobile device (including iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod touch®), Android™ mobile device, and the Kindle Fire, eliminating shipping and customs fees. When you purchase an eBook product, and it is assigned to your account, you will receive installation instructions and a unique registration code to activate your eBook.
• An app for the eBook on Apple devices, including iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch is available from iTunes.
• An app for the eBook on an Android mobile device and software supporting the Kindle Fire are also available to download from VitalSource®.
7. How long will I have access to my eBook?
You will have access to your eBooks through VitalSource® for 1 year (online) from the date of your code redemption and 2 years access for downloaded material.
8. Are there any limitations to the VitalSource® mobile apps?
Yes, there are some limitations to the mobile apps in comparison to the desktop version. Please see the important notes regarding your eBooks on mobile devices.
• The functionality of the mobile device app is limited in comparison to the personal computer version of the VitalSource Bookshelf® software. For example, notes and highlights are viewable, but users cannot make new notes from the app at this time. The app does, however, have search capabilities.
• The eBooks are not optimized for mobile devices and, therefore, the text on mobile phones is very small. The app has zoom capability, but at the expense of easy navigation.
• Use of the app will not affect your ability to download the eBook onto a personal computer. Students can download their SchweserNotes™, Secret Sauce®, or QuickSheet to a maximum of two compatible mobile devices, in addition to two personal computers. Additionally, candidates can access the online version of the eBook through online.vitalsource.com from any compatible Internet browser.
• The app itself installs very quickly, but individual SchweserNotes™ books may take several minutes to download because of the large file sizes.
• Users can only download their materials when WiFi access is available.
9. Who do I contact if I am having technical difficulties?
For immediate answers to common technical support issues, our eBook vendor, VitalSource®, has a searchable Knowledge Base that contains the answers to several common questions.
If you require further assistance, visit VitalSource Technical Support or contact the VitalSource Service and Support line. They will connect you with a VitalSource Bookshelf® expert who specializes in your exact question. The U.S.-based support center is open 24/7 to accommodate your schedule.
• In the United States and Canada, please call 1.855.200.4146.
• In the United Kingdom, please call 0808 2340361.
• 24/7 live chat is available in all areas by clicking on the VitalSource Technical Support link and then selecting the live chat option.
10. What are the system requirements for eBooks?
• PC: Microsoft Windows XP SP2 (32-bit), Windows Vista /7/8 (32/64 bit)
o Microsoft .Net 4.0 Internet Connection for registration and downloading of eTextbook
• MAC: Mac OS X 10.6 or later Internet Connection for registration and downloading of eTextbook
• Apple: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad using iOS 5 or later
• Android: Android 2.2 and up with VS 1.4.2 or later
• Kindle Fire: Kindle Fire OS (1,2, HD or later)