About the FDP® Charter
Launched in 2019 and sponsored by the FDP Institute®, the Financial Data Professional® (FDP) Charter is the premier global designation for finance professionals with data science skills.
The financial services industry is being continuously transformed by the emergence of big data and machine learning. Coupling the skills and abilities of financial professionals and data scientists is now imperative to long-term success. Earning the FDP Charter demonstrates an enhanced financial acumen and mastery of the data analysis skills needed in an increasingly digitized world.
Body of Knowledge
In the FDP program, you’ll learn how to think like a data scientist as a financial professional. The curriculum includes data science, machine learning, data mining, and big data.
You can master these concepts in the FDP OnDemand Review Course
FDP® Exam Format
The 4-hour computer-based FDP exam is offered twice each year and can be taken at test centers worldwide or online via remote proctoring. The exam itself comprises 80 multiple-choice questions, weighted as 75% of the total points, and 3 constructed response questions, weighted as 25% of the total points.
FDP® Program Fees
To enter into the FDP program, candidates must pay a one-time, nonrefundable enrollment fee of $400.00 in addition to a required, refundable registration fee of $950.00 to $1,150.00. FDP Institute reading materials are not included with candidate enrollment and registration.
In total, FDP exam fees can range from $1,350.00, if you enroll during early registration, to $1,550.00, if you enroll during standard registration. More information about FDP program fees can be found on the FDP Institute® website.
Earning the FDP Charter is a significant commitment. Give yourself the absolute best chance to pass by reviewing the entire FDP curriculum in a live online course led by a senior data scientist.
FDP® Exam Dates and Registration Deadlines
Q2 - 2022 FDP Exam Details
- In-Person Exam: April 4 - 17, 2022
- Remote Proctored Exam: April 17 or April 18, 2022
- Registration Opens: November 29, 2021
- Early Registration Deadline: January 21, 2022
- Registration Closes: March 4, 2022
Q4 - 2022 FDP Exam Details:
- In-Person Exam: October 17 - 30, 2022
- Remote Proctored Exam: October 30 or October 31, 2022
- Registration Opens: May 25, 2022
- Early Registration Deadline: July 20, 2022
- Registration Closes: September 19, 2022
Requirements to Earn the FDP® Charter
Although anyone can register to take the FDP exam, the following background is assumed:
- Financial Markets and Instruments: Undergraduate or graduate degree in finance or economics, CAIA®, CFA®, or FRM®.
- Mathematics & Statistics: Undergraduate courses (basic algebra, calculus, probability and statistics), CAIA, CFA, or FRM.
A candidate must satisfy the following requirements to be awarded their FDP Charter:
- Successfully pass the FDP exam
- Submit the Certificates of Completion for approved online classes that cover the basics of Python or R programming
- Submit the signed Code of Ethics
- Submit two professional references
FDP® Exam Topic Weights
- Introduction: 5-12%
- Linear & Logistic Regression, Support Vector Machines, Regularization, and Time Series: 10-15%
- Decision Trees, Supervised Segmentation, and Ensemble Methods: 10-15%
- Classification, Clustering, and Naive Bayes: 5-12%
- Neural Networks and Reinforcement Learning: 5-12%
- Performance Evaluation, Back-testing, and False Discoveries: 5-12%
- Text Mining : 5-12%
- Ethical & Privacy Issues: 5-12%
- Fintech Applications: 25–40%
The full curriculum of the FDP program is covered in study materials that are endorsed by FDP Institute®. More information about these curriculum materials is available here.
These topic weights were used to develop a Review Package that includes complete coverage of the curriculum material. Enroll in the course today to ensure that you are fully prepared for the exam.