About the FDP® Charter
Launched in 2019 and sponsored by the FDP Institute®, the Financial Data Professional® (FDP) Charter is the premier global designation for finance professionals with data science skills.
The financial services industry is being continuously transformed by the emergence of big data and machine learning. Coupling the skills and abilities of financial professionals and data scientists is now imperative to long-term success. Earning the FDP Charter demonstrates an enhanced financial acumen and mastery of the data analysis skills needed in an increasingly digitized world.
Body of Knowledge
In the FDP program, you’ll learn how to think like a data scientist as a financial professional. The curriculum includes data science, machine learning, data mining, and big data.
You can master these concepts in the FDP Exam Review Course.
FDP® Exam Format
The 4-hour computer-based FDP exam is offered twice each year and can be taken at test centers worldwide or online via remote proctoring. The exam itself comprises 80 multiple-choice questions, weighted as 75% of the total points, and 3 constructed response questions, weighted as 25% of the total points.
FDP® Program Fees
To enter into the FDP program, candidates must pay a one-time, nonrefundable enrollment fee of $400.00 in addition to a required, refundable registration fee of $950.00 to $1,150.00. FDP Institute reading materials are not included with candidate enrollment and registration.
In total, FDP exam fees can range from $1,350.00, if you enroll during early registration, to $1,550.00, if you enroll during standard registration. More information about FDP program fees can be found on the FDP Institute® website.
Earning the FDP Charter is a significant commitment. Give yourself the absolute best chance to pass by reviewing the entire FDP curriculum in a live online course led by a senior data scientist.
FDP® Exam Dates and Registration Deadlines
- In-Person Exam: October 18–31, 2021
- Remote Proctored Exam: October 31–November 1, 2021
- Registration Opens: April 30, 2021
- Early Registration Deadline: June 18, 2021
- Registration Closes: September 17, 2021
Requirements to Earn the FDP® Charter
Although anyone can register to take the FDP exam, the following background is assumed:
- Financial Markets and Instruments: Undergraduate or graduate degree in finance or economics, CAIA®, CFA®, or FRM®.
- Mathematics & Statistics: Undergraduate courses (basic algebra, calculus, probability and statistics), CAIA, CFA, or FRM.
A candidate must satisfy the following requirements to be awarded their FDP Charter:
- Successfully pass the FDP exam
- Submit the Certificates of Completion for approved online classes that cover the basics of Python or R programming
- Submit the signed Code of Ethics
- Submit two professional references
You can satisfy the programming class requirement by enrolling in the Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course from Metis, which is a Kaplan company and a preferred online class provider.
FDP® Exam Topic Weights
- Introduction to Data Science & Alternative Data: 4–10%
- Machine Learning: Introduction to Algorithms: 4–10%
- Machine Learning: Regression, Support Vector Machine & Time Series Models: 4–10%
- Machine Learning: Regularization, Regression Trees, Random Forest & Overfitting: 4–10%
- Machine Learning: Classification & Clustering: 4–10%
- Machine Learning: Performance Evaluation, Backtesting & False Discoveries: 4–10%
- Data Mining & Machine Learning: Naïve Bayes & Text Mining: 4–10%
- Big Data & Machine Learning: Ethical & Privacy Issues: 4–10%
- Big Data & Machine Learning in the Financial Industry: 30–50%
The full curriculum of the FDP program is covered in study materials that are endorsed by FDP Institute®. More information about these curriculum materials is available here.
These topic weights were used to develop a live online review course that includes complete coverage of the curriculum material. Enroll in the course today to ensure that you are fully prepared for the exam.