There are no education or experience requirements needed for the CFA Institute Investment Foundations® certificate program, so anyone from Human Resources to Operations to Marketing and Sales can benefit from the program.
By completing the program and earning your certificate, you will:
- Gain a fundamental framework and knowledge of the investment industry
- Stand out from the crowd in a competitive global job market
- Improve your job performance by gaining an understanding of common global industry standards
- Gain a better understanding of how your role impacts the rest of the business
- Feel more confident working with your colleagues and clients
The CFA Institute Investment Foundations® certificate program involves:
- Approximately 100 hours of self-study
- A certificate of knowledge awarded to everyone who passes the exam
To earn the designation, you will take 2 exams and must score 70% or higher on each.
The Course of Study consists of 20 chapters, organized into seven modules:
- Module 1: Industry Overview – 5% topic weight
- Module 2: Ethics and Regulation – 10% topic weight
- Module 3: Inputs and Tools – 20% topic weight
- Module 4: Investment Instruments – 20% topic weight
- Module 5: Industry Structure – 20% topic weight
- Module 6: Serving Client Needs – 5% topic weight
- Module 7: Industry Controls – 20% topic weight
Administered in English and online, candidates will take a two-hour, computer-based multiple-choice exam consisting of 120 questions, within 6 months of registering. Preliminary results are provided instantly.
To register for the CFA Institute Investment Foundations® certificate program, visit the CFA Institute website to create an account or log in. After you register, you must schedule your exam appointment within 180 days (approximately 6 months), or your registration will expire.
CFA Institute Investment Foundations® certificate program is free to take.
The CFA Institute Investment Foundations® exam is administered online, allowing you to take the exam from any location.